Cycling from Dalat to Hoi An
10-Day Bike Tour from Da Lat to Hue
The remote and undiscovered Central Highlands contain some of Vietnam’s best-kept secrets. You will get off the beaten path and discover pristine lakes, clear rivers, vast swathes of historic jungle and isolated ethnic minority villages. This 8 day cycling adventure takes you from the central highland hill station of Dalat to the ancient town of Hue. This unique journey is a fantastic way to the see the country in an ideal climate for biking. The itinerary can be done in reverse as well, for those starting in Hue and venturing down to Dalat from the north.
Dalat – Lam Ha – Lak Lake – Draysap Falls – Buon Me Thuot – Pleiku – Kontum – Phuoc Son – Hoi An – Hue
Day 1 – Dalat – Lam Ha (B= breakfast, L= lunch)
– 8:30 am pick up at your hotel, short tranfer to departure point. – 30 km off road, bike through deep and vast pine tree forests on single lane trails. – Thrill to the 17 km downhill ride to Tanung, afterwards it’s a flat ride to the rolling hills. – Visit Silk Factory, coffee plantation and flower farm. – Stop at Elephant Waterfall for Lunch. – After lunch, 15 km biking more on the country side road to Lam Ha – The total cycling distance is 63 km on the bike. – Overnight in a comfortable local guest house in Lam Ha town.
Day 2 –Lam Ha – Lak Lake (B,L)
– The ride begins on the flat countryside road for 10 kilometers, and then 7 km climb up hill to the top of Phu Son Pass. – A 20 kilometer section of downhill riding toike down Phu Son Pass to Phi lieng Village. – The spectacular mountain views are perfect for pictures along the way – After lunch the ride is pleasant and flat for 40 kilometers to Lak Lake where we overnight in traditional Long Houses.(Homestay). – This day offers 100 km worth of mountain biking.
Day 3 – Lak Lake – Draysap Falls (B,L)
– After breakfast, head out to visit one of the old summer retreats of Emperor Bao Dai. – Take a boat to a remote village on the far side of Lak Lake. Some light trekking is possible from this village. – Elephant riding is available here (extra pay). – Back to the long house at Lak Lake for lunch and a rest before the 50 km bike ride to Buon Me Thuot and the 16 km mostly flat ride to the falls. – Swim and relax at the falls. Spend the night in Bungalow or Long House at Draysap Waterfall. – Total 60 km for this day.
Day 4 – Draysap falls – Yok Don Park – Buon Me Thuot.(B,L)
– 8:00: pick up. Short transfer (about 30 minutes) out of Draysap falls before biking. – 8:30 : start biking through pepper plantations, and cashew farms to Don village. – After lunch, visit the hanging bridge, and an elephant hunter’s house, a total of 60 km of biking are offered for this day. – Arrive in Buon Me Thuot around 4:30. The evening is free to explore.
Day 5 – Buon Me Thuot – Pleiku. (B,L)
– Depart at 8:00 am. Short transfer (about 50 minutes) out of Buon Me Thuot before biking. – This day is particularly long, with 80 km of biking through fairly flat terrain of coffee and rubber tree plantations. – Transport vehicle is available for those wishing to bike a shorter distance. – The road ventures over rolling hills through fantastic sections of pine forest. – A superb biking day ! A picnic lunch will be taken on the way. – Overnight in a hotel in the heart of Pleiku town.
Day 6 – Pleiku – Kontum. (B,L)
– Leisurely breakfast at the hotel and a later start to the day. – Departure by bike from the hotel at around 9:00 am. – The day’s ride is a relatively short 50 km, with an opportunity to visit a “Sea Lake” ( a volcanic crater lake ) on the way. Lunch and check into the hotel in Kon Tum. – A half day of sightseeing in the afternoom to visit: Wooden Church, Cave Church, Orphanage, Bana Village, including the Rong house, Iron Suspension bridge and Museum. – The evening is free to explore the town.
Day 7 – Kontum to Phuoc Son (B,L)
– Breakfast at the hotel and an early departure at 7:00 am. – This is the best riding day of the trip with a fantastic 70 kilometer section of deep jungle forest on both sides of the road. – The ride is also very hilly and runs along the border of Ngoc Linh National Park and Ngoc Linh Mtn. (2400 meters) through the Truong Son mountain range. – This is also the day that we travel along the famous Ho Chi Minh Trail. – The Sedang minorities reside in this jungle area. Lunch along the way at a local restaurant. – Vehicle transfer in the afternoon to Phuoc Son with an estimated arrival at 5:00 pm. – Overnight in a comfortable local guest house in Phuoc Son.
Day 8 – Phuoc Son to Hoi An (B,L)
– This is the last day on Ho Chi Minh Trail, a mostly downhill ride to the coast. – 7:00 am breakfast at the hotel. 8:00 am departure with 60 km of gently rolling terrain with more great sections of jungle. – Get a stunning view of the scenic waterfall and do not forget your bathing suit! Lunch on the way (picnic style). – The historic Cham Tower can be visited. After lunch continue by vehicle to Hoi An (approx. 70 km) with an estimated arrival at 2:00 pm.
Day 9: Bike around the countryside of Hoi An (B)
– Start the ride at 9 am at the hotel. – Bike through the tiny village lanes to the river where you can learn about the daily life of the local people. – Keep cycling through the fields of corn, sweet potatoe, the forests of nipas, the lakes of shrimp and crab farm. On the way, we will visit houses for worshipping ancestors and houses of handicraftmen such as: blacksmiths, carpenters and masons where you can learn many unusual things about life in Hoi An. – You will definately understand the Vietnamese water-rice agricultural culture, dragons, turtles, lotuses and bamboo…ect – You will discover the rural traditional customs of ”Real ” Viet Nam – Bike back to the hotel at 1 pm.
Day 10 – Hoi An to Hue (B,L)
– 60 km of biking start in Hoi An at 9: 00 am cycling to Cua Dai beach, along the scenic ocean road to Da Nang. – Transfer by van about 30 minutes from Da Nang to Hai Van pass. – Bike the last 30 km to Lang Co beach for swimming and relaxing. – Lunch along the way at a local restaurant. – Vehicle transfer to Hue in the afternoon (the rest of the way) , end the trip at around 4 pm.
– End the trip.
Price: $ please contact us
|Depart, End at:||your hotel in dalat, your hotel in Hoian|
|Start Time:||8:00 every day|
|Activities:||Biking and Sightseeing|
|What to Bring:||Hat, sunscreen, camera, sport sandals or biking shoes|
|What is included:||English speaking guide, support vehicle, bikes, helmets, picnic lunch, water, entrance fees, tourist permits and 9 nights accommodation|
|What is not included:||Diner, Personal major medical including evacuation insurance coverage is recommended|